All that’s in the news translates into unbelievable amounts of chatter in the Twittersphere. Let’s take a look at some of the insight our Denise Christie was able to discover this week!
What we saw this week
The last couple of weeks have focused on the Republican presidential candidates, so now it’s time to give the Democrats equal time.
- Sunday/Monday: Hillary announced her campaign on Sunday, and this has generated a landslide of tweets. While many were positive, there was a lot of backlash- both from conservatives and from liberals and middle-of-the-roaders who think she’s tried to run too many times.
- Nobody (seriously, nobody) likes her logo, but they are amused by her Scooby van.
- Earlier this week, she stopped at a Chipotle in Ohio and ordered a burrito bowl with chicken and guacamole, as well as a salad with chicken. People seemed impressed that she had ordered guac.
- Later, news outlets started reporting that she hadn’t tipped. The near-universal reaction from Twitter was some variation of “…you can tip at Chipotle?” and “Who the *!?*! tips at Chipotle??”
- The Twittersphere also discovered the 404 error message on her website. You can check it out for yourself by visiting hillaryclinton.com/pleasewinthistime.
- On Monday, a graphic designer released a font, jokingly called Hillary Bold or “Hillvetica,” that riffed on her campaign logo. It was retweeted thousands of times.
- People were, um, amused by Tom Brady’s ceremonial first pitch at Fenway Park. http://nesn.com/2015/04/tom-bradys-first-pitch-at-red-sox-home-opener-one-for-ages-video/
- Xander Bogaerts has been sent for an MRI on his right knee, and Rusney has a shoulder inflammation. Fans are worried about so many injuries this early on in the season. (It follows news a couple of weeks ago of Christian Vazquez missing the entire season due to needing a Tommy John surgery.)
- Tsarnaev’s sentencing will begin on April 21st, the day after the marathon. The judge has ordered the jury to stay away from the marathon and any related events.
- Drones will be banned along the marathon route for the first time this year (Boston PD calls it a “no drone zone”).
- The family of Martin Richard has asked that the government drop its pursuit of the death penalty.